a week in my mind and you won't want to go home...

Sunday 1 November 2009

The Division

10:00 Posted by Sir Scribbles 25 comments
This is a post that's like 3 months old but the subject matter is as fresh as bread out of an oven. I'll give you a run-through of the incident that prompted it all and if you haven't already realised it this is going to be one of those moments where Sir Scribbles isn't as comical as customary.

The sister of a friend of mine was getting married. I'm really close to the family especially the last-born, Richard, nd we are basically like brothers. I didn't go for the church wedding and since I skipped that I ended up running into Richie for the first time that day at the reception which was when he told me was he'd brought his 'current' girlfriend to the wedding. Prior to today I had no idea Richie was even in the process of dating someone seeing as he is a womanizer of immense proportions and the news left me curious and excited. However, when I asked him how the church wedding went he told me he had left the church rather annoyed because, in his words, "They want me to be like them". Later the bride's mum who's a close friend of my mum arrived and after we exchanged greetings her and my mum went into a little room to talk. 30 minutes later my mum reappears, pulls me gently to a corner of the room where we wouldn't be overhead and tells me that Richie's mum is worried because he's dating a white girl and can't understand why I would let that happen seeing as we are close friends. Now remember I hadn't even known Richie had a girlfriend till that very day and her race was definitely still unknown to me but being accused of 'negligence' wasn't even what bothered me. The next person to talk to me was Richie's 80-something year old looking uncle and the man gave me a long speech on how white women lure black men into marriages, wreck their lives and then divorce them leaving the men useless and distraught. I was attentive throughout the whole speech because I found it rather intriguing but not for the reasons Richie's uncle would have preferred. What really intrigued me was the concluding part of the speech, he likened interracial marriages to slavery and said that no matter how much 'love' interracial couples think they have it can't overcome the western individual's tendecy to consider the black man as a slave, this was the sentence that intrigued me the most. I had already started to feel uncomfortable seeing as it was my best friend who was the subject matter of the 'interesting' discussion and after I informed them that I hadn't even known Richie had a girlfriend till that very day I assured his mum and uncle that I'd have a word with Richie as soon as possible and find out the reason behind his decision to date a white girl. However, I had no intentions of doing anything of the sort.

to be continued...

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mum would certainly kill my brother and anyone near him if he dated a white girl...seriously.

TaioFierce Ameen said...

me i dont av nytin against interracial relationships oh....nd mayb his uncle wz talkin 4rm experience hu knws....

Yinkuslolo said...

dayumm, imma be straight up here with the only question that I have in mind.

is he dating her for the right reasons?

besides that, i know bloggsville residents are gonna dish out some insightful comments. i'm kinda eager to read them.

Neo said...

There are thick fat lines that separate people of the world, What MLK and those of his ilk did, did not erase those lines but at least it made the rest of the world pretend not to see those who dared to cross them.

Its clear that the race issue isnt subjective, its always goin to be about what other people think. Ur frnds Mum and Uncle would be rightly worried, cos their perception of interracial dating is coloured by the perceptions of their time. It might be hard to conceive a world where an interracial marriage would last.

FASCHE said...

u never know with these things!

Giagerry said...

hee hee...my mum used to be like that while ago, until my bro went off and maried one---we are christians and we nor dey gree for divorce, so...my mum has to live with it.
nd i like her sef...soooo its whatever jare.
like she said, u never kno with these things!

Fabulo-la said...

Pple still think like this?
In 2009?
Really?



ok o.

Bubbles said...

wow.

for reals.

ok.

umm!
wow!
Honestly!
why can't people get over this fucking race issue!

if a black guy wants to fuck a white girl and vice versa
it's his/her business.
like people need to chill.
it's not that serious

Ebony~!* said...

loool that was serious oh! ahn ahn so so meeting?! richie ohhh!

Fragilelooks said...

I have no problem wit inter/intra racial marriages, so lng it is wot makes the parties involvd happy.

Fragilelooks said...

I have no problem wit inter/intra racial marriages, so lng it is wot makes the parties involvd happy.

Myne said...

As far as they're doing it for the right reasons why not? I'll wait for the conclusion.

Azazel said...

I concur with bubbles mehn..
Seriously bro, u should have chided the old man.. In this day and age, no racist talk should be accepted.. we are all humans, if the guy is feelin a white girl, nobody should judge him cus of that..
It's that sort of talk that breeds hate and discrimination.

Lady X said...

Well it might not be cuz she's a white girl. People are often skeptical of things that are foreign to them. Would the mom say the same thing if the girl was from some other African country or if she was from some other tribe in Naija? If she would the chick being white is her excuse I think. Just like she'd say she's not 'Nigerian' or 'Ibo'.

Lady X said...

And let's not be too quick to judge the old man o. He has probably seen things like that happen and let's not forget racism was quite rampant during his time. Just saying!

Devine said...

i dont have anything against inter-cultural or racial relationships, only that its a lot more work than dating someone thats 'like you'
i tried it once, and yea, it almost turned me bitter!
Abeg free your cousin, unless you think he is in it for wrong reasons, and only you know him, but apart from that, abeg!

AliceDCL said...

wateva men
its his business and they should butt out chikena!!!!

kay9 said...

i agree with Devine.... but you know what, i'm betting your cousin is just playing around! :D

P'sy-A-wana said...

while i wouldnt marry whitey i could have one as a "pekus" lol...but seriously we all bleed the same whatever the colour of our skin...plus some black babes go carry your name go do juju so every person get their own wahala...

blogoratti said...

A man's got to do what a man's gotta do...can't judge a man on that.

Anonymous said...

seeing as the inter-racial relationship debate isn't going to end soon, the one thing that struck me is how they seem to hold you responsible for your friend's decisions!! ... too funny :-)

TRYBES said...

I really think no one should be judged based on the color of thier skin..white or green whatever,it is the character in them that makes the difference not the color or race..so yes i will and have at least dated a white,a black and a brown..at least once in the past and do not have any regrets about it..so i figure its not anythin wrong!

Loré said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loré said...

wow. i don't see a problem with interracial marriages..half of my extended family is 3/4's white. my family is like the only almost fully black part of our extended family. so it bothers me a lot when people talk like this.its degrading and very racist to talk like this.

velvet said...

have you read "come away my love" a poem by joseph kariuki..its a nice poem on racism

for me hmmmmm i prefer my kind of colour!!anytime lol